The snow is gone but the journey to find the right “fat tire” bike begins. I dropped by Oak Bay Bikes Nanaimo who just built up a Specialized FatBoy. The name “FatBoy” has been used by Specialized before when they put together a limited edition street cruiser.
- The weight of the bike is amazing given the cost.
- At 30 lbs+ it rivals many other bikes in this category.
- The handling and feel of this bike reminds me of classic light weight XC mtn. bike.
- The drive train is smooth and responsive.
- Hard to generate any opinion of the hydraulic brakes system when testing at 17c.
- The frame finish clean and stylish.
Specialized Website Specs:
- New, fully butted M4 Premium Aluminum frame with 190mm rear spacing and a tapered headtube for a lightweight platform with stiffness where you need it and clearance for 5″ tires
- New, full monocoque, Specialized FACT carbon fiber fork with 5-inch tire clearance is super-lightweight and stiff
- Wide, 4.6″ Specialized Ground Control tires with foldable aramid bead are light, fast rolling, and provide excellent traction regardless of the terrain
- Custom 2×10 PF30 crankset with 100mm spindle provides tough and dependable performance
- Tektro Draco 2 hydraulic disc brakes provide powerful and consistent braking, regardless of the weather, temperature or terrain
- SRAM X7 10-speed rear derailleur provides fast and reliable shifting that can handle all the elements